The first thing you should do if you discover a baby bird on the floor or if your cat brings one inside, is to relocate it to a secure location as soon as possible. You may use a tea towel to pick it up if you’d prefer not touch it, and then place it in a box after you’ve done so carefully.
If you are able to locate the nest, which may be very well concealed, you should return the bird as soon as you can. Don’t be concerned; parents can’t identify their offspring based on their scent. They will never give up a child that has been handled by a human.
What to do if you find a baby bird on the ground?
If you come across a baby bird on the ground or somewhere else away from its nest, the first thing you should do is establish whether or not it is a young bird that is in need of care. Many young songbirds leave the nest anywhere from two to five days before they are able to take flight, during which time their parents continue to care for them and keep an eye out for any dangers.
What do you do with a baby bird out of the nest?
- If a newborn wild bird does not yet have feathers, it is not allowed to leave the nest until it has grown them.
- It has not yet left the nest.
- If you came upon a newborn bird and you knew where its nest was, you should return it there.
If the entire nest has been blown from a tree or bush, place all of the chicks back in the nest, replace the nest in the tree, and if necessary, tie or wire it to the tree.If the nest was blown from a tree or bush, the chicks should be placed back in the nest.
What should I do if I find a fledgling?
- Taking away a young bird is something that should never be done unless there are no other options, such as if the bird is wounded, has been abandoned, or is an orphan.
- If you have any reason to believe that this is the case, you should seek the guidance of a wildlife rescue center.
- Should I pick up the young bird that I discovered even if it doesn’t have any feathers?
Nestlings are the common name given to young birds that have only a few feathers or none at all.